This article highlights my Top 5 list of Disneyland rides ranked according to thrill factor. I’ve included rides at Disneyland as well as California Adventure Park.
Just note that Disneyland is not a thrill ride park…it is a theme park. Its appeal isn’t in providing cheap thrills. It is a theme park based on amazing characters and built with incredible details by very talented people. BUT that said…it does have some very thrilling rides.
I’ve only been to the parks for 2 days in my life (so far), so I have a unique perspective. I know which ones left me wanting to come back for more.
And you know what I found out after I wrote this list… I’m not the only one who lists these as their favorite thrill rides in Disneyland.
The Undercover tourist surprisingly has the same rides in the same order as me!! So cool. (And no I didn’t copy them. ) 🙂
Table of Contents
- 1 Top 5 Thrill Rides at Disneyland and California Adventure
- 1.1 5. Radiator Springs Racers (Cars Land in California Adventure)
- 1.2 4. Splash Mountain (Critter Country in Disneyland)
- 1.3 3. Space Mountain (Tomorrowland in Disneyland)
- 1.4 2. IncrediCoaster (Pixar Pier in California Adventure)
- 1.5 1. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT (Hollywood Land in California Adventure)
- 2 What didn’t make my list…and why
- 3 If you want more Disneyland content, check out:
Top 5 Thrill Rides at Disneyland and California Adventure
5. Radiator Springs Racers (Cars Land in California Adventure)
This ride was pretty fun and visually delightful.
But the actual thrills come during the very end of the ride and they only last a very short period of time.
The line-ups for this ride can be crazy long! I used the single rider lines and was able to get on very quickly.
You need to be at least 40″ tall to ride Radiator Springs Racers.
Click here for more information about this fun ride.
4. Splash Mountain (Critter Country in Disneyland)
This ride is so much fun.
Like Radiator Springs Racers the actual “thrills” of this ride are limited, but it is such a pleasurable meander through an incredibly detailed setting, that it makes me want to go back again and again.
And who doesn’t love wet log rides on a hot California day.
But pleas note: after the ride you’ll have the “Zippity Doo Dah” song stuck in your head all day.
In order to go on this ride, you need to be at least 40″ tall.
3. Space Mountain (Tomorrowland in Disneyland)
This ride now has a Star Wars-makeover so it feels like you’re flying a Rebel spaceship against the evil Empire.
It is a thrilling roller-coaster ride through the inky blackness of a dark building. You never know which way you’ll be turning next.
I enjoyed this ride so much I went on it twice in a row (using Single Rider lines I was able to basically step off it and go back on again).
This is on many people’s list of Disneyland rides ranked by thrill…because it is so much fun.
You must be 40″ or taller to ride this rollercoaster.
2. IncrediCoaster (Pixar Pier in California Adventure)
This ride in the California Adventure park used to be called “California Screaming” which is a very fitting name. They have changed the name to IncrediCoaster following a re-theme’ing.
This rollercoaster blasts off at the start. It is an amazing start to a ride that’ll leave you smiling cheek to cheek. It is easily one of the best thrill rides at Disneyland or California Adventure.
You need to be 48″ or taller to go on this ride.
Click here to read more information about the IncrediCoaster on the Disney website.
1. Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT (Hollywood Land in California Adventure)
This easily made my list as the most thrilling ride in Disneyland/California Adventure.
It is a ride I don’t mind waiting in line for. (And it has tons of cool stuff to look at while waiting in line.)
The stomach-lurching drops of this ride put pure fear into me!
It is such a rush. But it’s pretty darn scary when you first go on it.
Some people cry on this ride. Some people get so scared they can’t control their bowels! Yeah, it has some big drops.
You need to be at least 40″ or taller to go on this thrilling ride.
Click here to read more about this awesome ride on the Disney website.
What didn’t make my list…and why
I went on it once and didn’t feel the urge to go on it again. In my opinion it isn’t worth a long line-up.
Indiana Jones Adventure
I love the Indiana Jones movies. In fact, the Indiana Jones Adventure ride in Disneyland is one of the MAIN REASONS I went to Disneyland.
Is that putting too much pressure on a ride? Yeah.
It was enjoyable, but not amazing. That is why it didn’t make my list of top Disneyland rides ranked by thrill factor.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
This roller-coaster in Frontierland was the only time I used a FastPass.
It has amazing details and imagery, but I didn’t have any urge to go back on it.
(And that is my main criteria for whether I think a ride was thrilling. )
Goofy’s Sky School
I didn’t go on this ride during my 2 days at the parks. It is on my list for next time though.
If you want more Disneyland content, check out:
- List of 41 Awesome Disney tshirts for your next Disney vacation
- How to Save Money at Disneyland
- How to go to Disneyland alone (Going solo and using the Disneyland single rider passes)
- Avoid these Common Disney Park Mistakes
- What is the Difference Between Disneyland and California Adventure
- Can you take water into Disneyland?
- Is there WiFi at Disneyland? [Answered]
- Hidden Secrets at Disneyland!! [get your Disneyland Hidden Secrets Checklist]
- How to get into the Disneyland park entrances
I hope you’ve enjoyed my list of my favorite Thrill rides at Disneyland.
What’s on your list of favorite thrill rides at Disneyland and California Adventure?? (please comment below)